Twixmas Winter Walking Holiday 2016
We’re pleased to announce this year’s Twixmas Winter Walking holiday 27-30 December 2016 based from the wonderful walking town of Llangollen, North Wales. *** FULLY BOOKED ***
- Fully guided Christmas walking holiday
- Dramatic limestone landscapes
- 3 days of scenic guided walks
- Walking along the famous Pontcysyllte Aqueduct
- Panoramic vistas
- Relaxed and friendly social evenings
Sympathetically restored and extended to a magnificent standard, the White Waters Country Hotel is a richly furnished and delightfully presented 19th century manor, which offers both a traditional and contemporary feel throughout. Set in its own unique location on the edge of the River Dee, you will be amazed by the hotels fabulous surroundings with stunning views over the Llangollen countryside and Dinas Bran Castle where you can sit back, relax and unwind. The hotel has a good reputation for food. Ample hotel parking is available. All rooms are ensuite.
Tuesday – Welcome Evening
Guests can check in to White Water Country Hotel from 3pm. The holiday will start at 6pm with a welcome introduction and an opportunity to meet everyone on the holiday. The Country Adventures tour leader will be on hand to answer any questions throughout the evening regarding the planned walks.
Wednesday - Walk Day
Grade 3 – Details being updated
Thursday - Walk Day
Grade 2 – Details being updated
Friday - Walk Day & Departure Day
Grade 2 – Details being updated
Departure day. Check out is 10am but for anybody wishing to spend a little more time in the area there is an (optional) 3rd day of walking. The holiday finishes between 3-4pm.
Accommodation for the Twixmas holiday is the White Waters Country Hotel, Llangollen. Rooms are ensuite and based on 2 people sharing. Single rooms can be reserved on request subject to availability and an additional supplement of £30 per person per night.
Food & Drink
Meals included during the holiday: all breakfasts, 1 evening meal at the White Waters hotel, 2 days of packed lunches.
For two of the evenings we will go and eat in the town of Llangollen (optional extra) where there are several restaurants and Country Inns to choose from.
For guided walking tours that require transport from the meeting point to the start of the walk, we use a minibus or where necessary local transport. There is no extra charge for this, it is included in the tour price.
Our walks are by no means designed to be endurance tests where everyone sets off at a blistering pace. Far from it, it’s about a fine day in the hills in good company enjoying the best of fell walking with exceptional views but it is important to state that for everyone’s walking enjoyment walking does require a minimum level of fitness and stamina. Hill / Mountain walking experience is not essential as long as you have a reasonable level of fitness. For the higher level graded walks (i.e. Challenging Grade) it is advisable that you are someone who enjoys regular cardio exercise or have experience of mountain walking and have the stamina/ leg strength in order to be better prepared for longer sections of uphill & downhill walking associated with higher mountain treks.
Walking Grades Explained
Grade 1 (Leisurely) Normally 5-8 miles, may include gentle ascents and descents of up to a total 1100ft of ascent and similar descent over a day’s walk. Easier scenic walking at lower altitudes along paths and tracks.
Grade 2 (Moderate) Normally 6-10 miles on paths and tracks, between 800ft – 1700ft of total ascent and similar descent. Longer walks, on hills and moorland.
Grade 3 (Moderate Mountain) Normally ranging from 6-10 miles, between 1700ft – 2600ft of ascent, similar descent. Longer walks, over higher ground with possibly steeper ups and downs on paths and tracks.
Grade 4 (Challenging) Normally ranging from 8-13 miles, between 1500ft – 3000+ft of ascent, similar descent, over undulating mountain terrain, walking at higher levels with steep ups and downs. Suitable for people with a good level of fitness.
What you need to bring with you for the walks
- Good, comfortable walking boots with a cleated sole and good ankle support are essential.
- Waterproof jacket and over-trousers.
- Warm, dry walking clothing. Unsuitable clothing includes Jeans or cotton tracksuit bottoms and cotton t-shirts (cotton is a poor insulating fabric and when wet it takes a long time to dry, which can lead to a rapid loss of body heat as well as being uncomfortable).
- A number of thin layers are better than one thick/ heavy jumper. We suggest a fleece for extra warmth especially when we stop on the hills for lunch.
- Hat and gloves (even in summer – any wind chill on the mountain tops will lead to cooler temperatures).
- Sunglasses, sun cream.
- Hot or cold drinks (i.e. a minimum of 2 litres of water).
- Plenty of food and drink for lunch and snacks.
- A rucksack large enough to carry it all in (20-30 litres), ideally with a waterproof liner.
- Any medication you need.
- Thermos flask. We recommend bringing warm drinks with you, as even on sunny days it can occasionally feel cooler, especially on the summits of the higher-level mountain walks.
- Walking poles (if you use them).
We want you to enjoy your time with Country Adventures and have the best possible adventure experience. Please be aware that if any participants are not properly equipped for the walk (i.e. with walking boots and waterproofs), at the guide’s discretion we reserve the right to not allow them on the walk for reasons of safety for both the individual and the group. If you need clarification any of the equipment requirements, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Tour Schedule & Activity Meeting Times
Please ensure you give yourself plenty of time to get to the meeting point at the required time. The transport for our day walks will leave promptly at the stated time and due to the nature of scheduled tours, we are unable to provide refunds if unfortunately, you miss the departure time.
Please meet at the White Waters Country Hotel, details will be included with your booking confirmation.
Address: White Waters Country Hotel, Berwyn Road, Llangollen, Denbighshire, North Wales, LL20 8AD